by: Rev. Jamie Bagley (Carll's Corner Community Fellowship)
The act of giving to God is one of the most powerful forms of worship our faith can take. Scripture relates that our giving to God is to be a free expression of thankfulness for the grace and gifts provided us. We are to give in recognition of God as Creator, Sustainer and rightful Owner of all things.
God Teaches Giving--O.T. Background
1. God is pleased by sacrificial expressions of giving. (Genesis 4)
2. God commanded His people to tithe (Leviticus 27):
--a. For the Levites (Numbers 18.21)
--b. For congregational life (Deuteronomy 14:22-29)
--c. To relieve suffering/share God's love (Deuteronomy 14:29)
3. God also provided for offerings. (Leviticus 1-5)
4. God judged people who did not give. (Haggai 1; Malachi 3:9-12)
The Message Of Jesus (Matthew 25:14-30)
1. What we do with our money is a sign of stewardship.
2. What we do with our money is a sign of allegiance.
3. Those who do not steward wisely will be judged.
New Testament Christian Application
1. Believers gave regularly (1 Corinthians 16:1-2):
--a. For Church leaders (Matthew 10:8-10; 1 Timothy 5:17-18)
--b. For congregational life (2 Corinthians 9:6-15)
--c. To relieve suffering/spread God's love (Acts 2:45)
2. Believers gave proportionately (1 Corinthians 16:1-2)
3. Believers gave generously (2 Corinthians 8:2)
3CF CCCF Carll's Corner Community Fellowship Bridgeton NJ New Jersey